Thursday, December 17, 2009

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas tree...

Miss Aleeyah got her very own tree this year for her room. She was REALLY excited about it-even more than our living room tree! I was super excited about how inexpensively were were able to do it for. (all for under $50!! and all re-usable!)

We knew we wanted a white tree even though Aleeyah tried to stray away from white when we went to the tree farm. She wanted a little green tree then because she could bring it home now. They didn't have a small one for sale and I talked to her about this one being able to kept and reused again next year. She was tired and cold, but understood.

We searched several stores before I finally gave in and went to Wal-Mart. I don't shop there really much at all any more. When we lived in Oklahoma it was conveniently right down the street. Here it isn't and we have plenty of other stores around us. I've not been a big fan of Wal-Mart for quite some time so it all works out. Target had a beautiful white tree for just a ridiculous amount of money and none of the other places I looked even had a white tree. Wal-Mart had 4 white options in a price range that I really was looking to spend. We chose a 6 foot pre-lit tree for only $25.

We were looking to make an alphabet tree. Aleeyah LOVES everything alphabet! We found an unpainted A at Hobby Lobby for $2 and we painted it with a coordinating green I found in my stash. We also found a great package of letters that are all brightly colored paper on top of pressed cardboard. I just needed to punch holes in them and then used some bright thread I had on hand. I was able to get them for 40% off at Hobby Lobby with a coupon so they were all of $3 and really helped bring a lot to the tree.


We purchased some very bright plastic (but looks like glass-seriously, had to take them out of the package to find out if they were plastic or glass) balls, bells, and snow flakes from Target. Spent $15 there.


The tree skirt is made up of some left over fabric I had in my sewing stash. It's a couple of strips that I neatly draped around the bottom of the tree.




She's one happy girl!


And it matches her room which makes mom happy!


She asks to keep her tree on when she goes to sleep. I'm kind of curious to see how it goes when it's time to take it down.

BTW-looks like she will be getting a big girl bed in the near future! We've been putting off, but now her feet are growing closer to the end. She's not too excited about getting a new bed. We've talked about it several times and she tells us that she likes her bed and doesn't want a new one. I think once we do it, she will love it, but understand she's hesitant at this point. The one we've picked out is a black daybed (pictured below) so I think it will be similar enough to help her transition well!


I don't love it in the picture, but looks cute in person. Plus we will be able to get a pop up trundle to go underneath that way we will have an option for when our family comes to stay.

3 comments:

Jill Foley said...

very cool tree! I so want to do something like this for my girls, but when it comes time to do it, I just can never justify it to myself.

Love this, though!

Cherish This Life! said...

Her tree turned out super cute!!! Love it! And so love the A tree topper & zebra skirt...perfect touch! It looks fantastic in her room. And the new bed is too cute, she will be so excited!!

Shannon Plumb said...

What an adorable tree! I want one for my room!:)

Related Posts with Thumbnails