Friday, August 28, 2009

4th Birthday Party!!

It's been almost 2 weeks since Aleeyah's birthday party in Oklahoma and she is technically 4 years old and 2 weeks today! I can't believe she is already 4. For some reason, that number hit a little hard this year. It's like when she turned 3, she was still just a toddler, but 4 means one more year until school.

I think she enjoyed her birthday party very much! She is still talking about it and keeps asking when she is going to turn 5. I keep telling her that she has to finish being 4 first.

Before I go into the birthday party festivities, I first have to give a shout out to my sis-in-law. She rocks! For many years now, she has been in the one in the kitchen with me during Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners and has helped me plan Aleeyah's birthday parties. A life saver. She makes some fabulous cakes! She made 3 out of 4 birthday cakes so far (they were in Florida for her 3rd birthday or else it probably would have been all her cakes).

Here is:

Year #1


Year #2


I always enjoy designing them with her, but this year I told her it was all in her hands, but that I wanted to do fondant circles on white frosting.

And this is what she came up with:



We've always broke it out where she does most of all the cake and I work mostly on the fondant. I love working with that stuff, but I loved working with clay as a kid.

Isn't it fabulous?!?!

Like I said, she rocks!

We had Aleeyah's party in Oklahoma again this year. We were looking forward to seeing some friends and family we haven't seen in a while and hang out pool side with them, but it takes a lot of extra work to plan a party out of state. Thankfully, Lauren, loves parties as much as I do and was there to assist me with in-state details. We got everything we could do, done and all that needed to happen next was get to Oklahoma.

Chris had to work on Friday, so we had to make a late night trip. We didn't get into the OKC area until almost 2:00am. We were pooped. It was especially hard knowing that we would have to turn right back around on Sunday afternoon to make the drive back.

Well, we were about 30 minutes out from the house with 5 more hours to go, when it hit me that we forgot something. Aleeyah's bathing suit. For her swim party. The one that just happen to match her party oh-so-well. In August. The end of the swimming suit season. Most swimsuits gone.

What did I do?

I didn't want to drive back home and add an extra hour to our drive as it was already 8:00pm, so I called Lauren for help again. She graciously said she would head out to try and find one (with my new nephew). She called again at 9:56pm (after hitting several, and I mean several, stores) to ask which one I would approve of. We narrowed them down and she came home with a couple for me to look at.

We got to their house, picked one, and headed to bed. Exhausted.

The next morning we began the birthday party extravaganza. The party wasn't until later in the afternoon-so it gave us some time to work on the cake, get ready to go, and head out for some last minute details, then head to the facility.

2:00pm was showtime!












































(sorry, for picture overload, but I couldn't narrow them down anymore!)

We had a great time!

Thanks to all that came!!!

8 comments:

Sarah said...

It looks like everyone had a great time. I LOVE the cakes!!!!

Susan said...

What cute cakes!

I see she got the game Operation--my 4 year old LOVES that game. :-)

Tracy said...

cute, cute, cute cakes. I make my kids but have never worked with fondant before, such a chicken. And only a mother of a little princess will ever understand the drama involved with forgetting that 'perfect' outfit. I felt your pain sister.

And BTW, don't worry about making a collar for little man, he may be on his way out. It seems yelping all night, every night, for the past week would be a bad omen for his permanence.

Becky said...

Great post! The party looks like it was awesome and your S-I-L makes great cakes!

Da MiMi said...

The party was just plain AWESOME! Yes, indeed, a big, big thanks goes to Lauren for all of her help and a beautiful cake. And thanks to her folks, Don and Marcia, for the use of their clubhouse party room and pool. We had a wonderful time that afternoon...and finally a great big thanks to Abs for NOT posting a pic of MiMi in her swimsuit :)).

GinSpaghetti said...

Wow!!!! What a GREAT birthday!!! I adore the cakes -- all of them! They are AMAZING! Looks like Aleeyah had a GREAT birthday party!

Domestic Goddess said...

The cakes look awesome, so cute! Lauren is super talented! The pictures look great, more is ALWAYS better! LOL! The party looks like so much fun and Aleeyah's smile says it all! :) I feel your pain on the number being hard to swallow, and sadly it doesn't seem to get any easier with each new year...they grow up WAY too fast!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEEYAH!!!!

Lauren Hamblin said...

Thanks for the props! I love seeing you guys and am always game for any type of crazy party you want to do!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails