Monday, July 20, 2009

Be Still and Know

I've never been a morning person. I love everything about mornings, but just have always had the hardest time actually getting up. Probably for the fact that my bedtime is somewhere between 12am and 3am every night.

Last night turned out a little different. Chris and I relaxed and enjoyed a movie together late in the evening after getting quite of bit of packing done for our move next weekend. I ended up drinking some Mt Dew-something that isn't normally much of a problem because caffeine seems to hardly have any effect on me anymore. Well, other than 1 cup of coffee, I haven't had any caffeine in almost a week. It probably would have been a good idea to think about that before I drank the 20 ounce bottle of it.

One hour leads to another hour and all the sudden it's 6am. I looked towards the bedroom window and I could see the sun peeking through the slats of the blinds. I figured it out that I had about 1 and 1/2 hours before Chris headed to work. So, I got up, put some decent clothes on, threw my hair in a ponytail, put on my running shoes, and made my way towards the trails right outside our complex.

I was excited for a few reasons. I had slipped up and traded in my 5 night in a row gym streak for Mt Dew plus some other brown, creamy substance that tasted a lot like chocolate ice cream the night before-I'm still in denial that I ate it. I wanted to get out and work some of that off. Plus, my love for mornings could actually be enjoyed on a morning that I didn't actually have to wake up for.

It was a beautiful 62 degrees outside and the dew still covered the grass and trees. As I headed down into the trails, I was greeted with beautifully colored skies. The sun was just rising in the distance beyond the trees.


I was a bit disappointed that once in the trees, the skies color could no longer be seen, but my attention was quickly diverted to the rustling around me. The birds were just waking up and beginning their morning songs and a few squirrels were already up and scampering about. Chris even had the joy/scare to run with some deer one morning, so I kept an eye out for them also. Sadly, no deer to report this time, but I did see a young possum climbing up a tree just a few feet in front of me.

We have spent a lot of time on the trails since we moved here almost a year ago. They provide such peace and relaxation, when we take the time to enjoy them. For me, I've always felt closest to God when I'm outside walking among the beautiful things He gave us and the trails brings the intimacy that I need with Him and what a gift it is.

Because I left my iPod at home, I was able to hear the bird songs. Some traveled to the ground right beside me as I passed to peck their morning meal from the grass. I heard some woodpeckers, pecking at the old trees. I heard the streams flow as I journeyed down the path.


Contrary to popular belief, it is not flat here. In particular, there are lots of hills in the direction that I went this morning. Lots of hills. As I was trekking up one of them, my shin splints started flaring up and I was getting tired, but I knew once I made it up the hill then it would be time to enjoy the ride downhill. I was looking forward to it.


When I approached the top of the hill, I found a park bench. A lovely surprise for my hurting shins.


I sat down and let my mind wander for a little bit. I thought about the packing that still needs to be done. I thought about the other things I needed to get done in the next week. I thought about the endless list of things I want to accomplish in the next few months to a year. I thought about unfinished plans and the overwhelming means of how we were going to get there.

Then, I thought about the coincidence of the uphill struggle to what's raging inside of my mind. A struggle between honest desires in my heart and balancing it in my day to day life. The struggle of giving it ALL to Him. The struggle of being still and patient in Him.

And here at the top of the hill, I began thinking about the time that will come when we sit at the top to rest. Just like these trails, there will always be more hills to follow, but it's comforting to know that He will give us the rest that we need, if we are willing to take it in. So often, I find myself not resting in Him, but always looking ahead. Always wondering what will need to be done next.

The impatient part of me says that I'm ready to begin the downhill ride for a little bit,


but I believe the desires that I have are not only my desires for me and my family, but His as well. He knows what is best for us, He knows what struggles we must face to get there, and only He knows how those struggles will help us grow.

So for me, I'm trying hard to trade the busy and distracting noises for those of things that bring a calming quiet to my mind. I'm striving to give the burdens and worries to Him as I make my way up the hill. I'm looking forward to taking rest in His arms at the tops of the hills and while He carries me across the bridges to come.


Until that time, I press on.

Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him, for God is our refuge. Selah Psalm 62:5-8

5 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

BEAUTIFULLY, BEAUTIFULLY SAID! I love your reflections, they really speak your heart. And so loved that you ended with Psalm 62, it is one of my favorites! I came across another verse last week that really hit me in a moment of reflection, it's Isaiah 30:15..."...Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength."

LOVE YOU GIRL, I know the week ahead is going to be FULL to say the least, but I'm glad to see it is getting off to a great start!

Juli Jarvis said...

Love it! We'll have to walk that trail together next time we meet! I haven't gotten acquainted with the walking trails in that area --

Da MiMi said...

...and a big AMEN to your morning!

GinSpaghetti said...

Beautiful post Abbie! Saturday mornings are my favorite because most people are sleeping in... Love the Psalm! ...and love that you took your camera w/ you! :P

Abbie H. said...

Thank you ladies!

Of course, I'd love to take you with me Juli!!

Gin-they were taken with my phone. I had to bring it so I would know what time it was and make sure I got back before Chris went to work.

Related Posts with Thumbnails