Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Lions & Tigers & Bears...wait, where's the lions?

A couple of weekends ago, we took Aleeyah to the Kansas City Zoo. We hadn't been there yet and it was a nice little treat to have a beautiful day to go. Because it is still winter time, it was a pretty quiet day at the zoo for most of the animals. We also didn't get to see half of the zoo because they are redoing the Africa part of the zoo. I was disappointed because Aleeyah has really been interested in Africa since we started talking about Ethiopia. In fact, any time that she sees books or Africans, she says "Opia!!"-which is her way of saying Ethiopia. We began learning more about Africa and more specifically, Ethiopia when we started checking out books about them from the library. It's nice to be able to begin talking to her about other areas of the world and she actually understands a little bit of it.

So we missed Africa, but she was able to visit the Kangaroos in Australia. She has been talking a lot about Kangaroos lately so it was nice to get to see them again. For her birthday last year at the Little River Zoo in Norman, OK, she was even able to feed and pet some. Below is one of the pictures we took with the kangaroos on her birthday and there are more here.



We had a good time and enjoyed our first adventure (of many-I'm sure) to the zoo.
And now, I give you the good times in film...well, not film...but you get the idea!

When we first walked into the zoo we heard a bunch of barking sea lions. Come to find out-it was just 2.




This was Aleeyah's ride most of the time. She enjoys sitting way up top of her daddy's shoulders so that she can see everything.


She also enjoyed picking up leaves and relocating them. We began to wonder why we didn't just take her on the trails or to the park like normal because at times it seemed she was more interested in the leaves, trees, rocks, flowers, etc.




Where's Waldo Aleeyah?


Oh, there she is!


Randomness--




Here is a little kitty that I wanted to reach out and touch is sweet, little face! Too bad he probably would have bit my fingers off!!

7 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

CUTE pictures!!!! There seems to always be something under works at the KC Zoo! It has been that way since I was little, hopefully soon they will have it all done! :)

I have to admit that the picture of A with the Kanagroo at the zoo on OK FREAKS ME OUT! I think it is because we watch way too many reruns of America's Funniest Home Videos or maybe because I am notorious for being that 1 in a million person that has the strange thing happen to them but that is so scary that she is that close. What a brave little girl. I would have been kicked no doubt, or it would have tried to shove me in it's pouch or something. SCARY! LOL!

Abbie H. said...

You have me cracking up about the kangaroo shoving you in his pouch! HILARIOUS!!!

There were so many kangaroos out there and we were shocked we were able to pet them. This one was blind-poor boy! :(

Too bad something didn't happen, we could have SO been on that show and won us some Benjamins! haha! Maybe if it kicked Chris in the....umm....you know-seems like it never gets old to them on that show!!

Jill Foley said...

Great pictures....your outdoor pictures look a little different from my outdoor pictures! How warm is it there? We have a storm headed our way tomorrow with 12-18 inches of snow coming - oh goody!

Abbie H. said...

Jill-it's 54 here today. That day it was in the 70s and then it snowed the next day! Our weather right now is in that crazy time of year where you just never know what it's going to be like the next day.

MORE snow??? When does it stop snowing up there?

Juli Jarvis said...

I remember so many special visits to Swope Park and the zoo when I was a child. I think that was the same slide I used to play on. And definitely the same pool for the seals. It was always a great zoo -- and definitely better now than in the hot summer! When I'm "home" in the summer, I always think about going to the zoo, but think twice about it when I realize the humidity.

Britt said...

I haven't been to the zoo in YEARS! I don't like the crowds...and the zoo is actually about 2 hours away from us. We have a little "zoo" here in town...goats, chickens, etc...lol.

GinSpaghetti said...

Cute pictures! I love the zoo! Ours is about 3.5 hours away so we don't go much... but then, how often do adults need to go to the zoo?! :o) Looks like a great day to be outside!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails