Monday, February 2, 2009

A craft filled weekend!

We had a great, relaxing weekend! Mine was spent mostly doing some craft projects that I had meaning to do. Aleeyah really enjoyed helping me with my projects.

On Friday afternoon, Aleeyah and I took a trip to JoAnn's (a craft store). I was so excited to actually find square canvases. Up until that point, I had not been able to find them in the stores. We found lots of stuff to keep us occupied. I was looking for a couple of different types of material for different projects I had in my head. Aleeyah knew we were picking out fabric for a blanket I've had in the planning for her. She kept pointing out fabric that she liked and when I picked up one for another project, she would promptly tell me it didn't match. There was even one that I picked up and she said it was to plain. She got a couple of laughs from the older ladies who were also shopping for fabric.

We ended up with a wooden box that we had found for a stool. My friend, made a beautiful quilt (pictured left) for Aleeyah's birthday and sent us home with some extra fabric that she didn't use. I have been trying to figure out how I was going to use it. She had suggested that I could make a fabric stool. I liked the idea, but have just been trying to think of the best way to do it.

We just happened to wander into the wood craft area. I always enjoy going over there and looking-although, I rarely find something I can't live without. I saw the box on the shelf and knew immediately that it would work for making the stool. We also picked up some padding for the top.

So we came home and got to work on our stool project. I forgot to take a picture of the beginning box, but here is it in the making. We started by attaching the fabric to 2 opposite sides of the box. We used a staple gun to attach the fabric to the wood.


After we finished the two opposite sides, we began working on the other 2 sides. I used white fabric underneath these sides so that the fabric from the other sides would not show through. I stapled the top and bottom on both sides and then folded in the corners to make a clean edge and stapled that down. Aleeyah then used the hammer to tap the staples in flush.


I stapled the padding and material to the lid and then glued the lid down in place. I found some ribbon in my craft supplies that matched perfectly and hot glued the green ribbon to the box edges to cover the staples and then added pink ribbon to finish the top.

Here is how it looks finished!


Yes, it already has something on it and that would be powdered sugar from this little one...


Once we finished the box, I immediately got started on finishing a quilt that I made for Aleeyah before she was born. I made it and a bumper pad. Here is the picture of the unfinished nursery and quilt.


I was so nervous about doing the back (because it was my first quilt ever) that I never actually did the back. Thankfully, you don't use comforters when they are babies, because it just never got finished. I've been meaning to finish it for quite some time and finally did on Friday!!! Her room decor has changed since then, but she still has been using it this weekend to cuddle with.


After that, I finally painted the table I made her. It was a present for her at Christmas. I had fully planned on having it completely painted and ready for her at that point, but seeing as how I finished building it on Christmas Eve it didn't work out that way. (You can see it painted in the picture above with her stool)

On Sunday evening during the game, I worked on painting her rocking chair. We got it free from someone else and it was painted red. It is a cute chair but the red paint was coming off of it and looked pretty worn. Seeing has how she has pink, green, black, and white in her room, I decided to paint it black also. It also needed a few places that needed screws and a bit of glue. Here is a pic of it with only 1 coat of paint.


After finishing up the chair, I began on another quilt for Aleeyah. I'm really excited about it which means that it should be finished in the next few days. Here is a sneak preview!


All in all, we enjoyed our time together. We managed to fit other stuff in there, but this was the highlight of mine and Aleeyah's weekend. I've really enjoyed the fact that she is beginning to be able to really help me with some of my projects!

5 comments:

Jill Foley said...

Man..I need you two for a day! When can you come over?

Da MiMi said...

Okay, now. I'm exhausted just reading all of it! One word:
GORGEOUS!!

Abbie H. said...

Jill-I'm thinking we are just going to have to do that some time! I've never been there!

Britt said...

Make it a point to come out to Virginia too :) Add me to your "appointments."

Domestic Goddess said...

What a cute craft idea!!!

I remember you telling me about her nursery before the house fire, it is SO cute. It sounded really cute but the picture is awesome!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails