Tuesday, February 24, 2009

40 days of Water

My friend Gin sent me an email this morning about joining her in drinking only water for 40 days and donating the money that would be spent on other drinks to provide clean water to those who have none.

At first, I wanted to send an email back and tell her I would consider it. I mean, could I really give up everything else but water for the next 40 days? I thought about the things coming up in my agenda and thought about the trip in a couple of weeks with my friend Lisa. Could I only drink water while I'm away? In fact, water from another city that will taste different?

Then as I was typing those words, I quickly put my finger on the backspace key and I didn't let go until I got to the beginning of my email and even then-my finger remained for a few more seconds. My mind was lost and I was ashamed. I was ashamed because I thought of the reason why I would be doing this-to raise money for clean water. I thought of the people who live without clean water daily. The diseases that come from the dirty water. And I was about to say, I can't do it. I can't live on water alone.

I'm not telling you this so that you will feel guilty and join the effort for the next 40 days, but I am asking that you decide to do something about it-if you aren't already.

When looking a little around at dirty/clean water videos, I found this one. It was made by a church that decided to support blood:water mission.



Go to the blood:water mission blog and read about how you can get involved or I have copied it below:


We have the gift of choice: Freedom to choose on any given day what clothes we will wear, what work we will do, what food we will eat and what we will drink. In nearly a third of the world injustice threatens to take away these basic kinds of choices that we take for granted. In these places a woman can choose to drink the unclean river water or the unclean puddle water. She can choose to walk once for four hours to get water or walk twice for eight hours to get more water. She can choose to give her children something to drink that she knows may make them sick or she can give them nothing at all. She can persist or give up. You can help give her a real choice. [continue reading below]

We challenge you to make Water your ONLY beverage for 40 DAYS starting MARCH 1 and ending APRIL 9 in conjunction with the Lenten Season and World Water Day (Mar. 22). Gather your friends and join in solidarity with our African brothers and sisters in an effort to provide clean water for communities in need. As you do so, we ask that you keep track of what money you would have typically spent on other drinks throughout the day and save that money. At the end of 40 days donate what you saved to Blood:Water. Imagine, if you saved $5 a day just by cutting out a visit to your local bar or barista, then you’d save $200 in 40 days. That’s enough to provide clean water for 200 people for an entire year!

So ditch the morning coffee and o.j., leave out the lunchtime soda, and cancel the evening beverage. You won’t need an ark for this 40 Days of Water, but you will need a little self-discipline. But we know you can do it, because you know who you’re doing it for. Make the choice. Visit bloodwatermission.com/40days to find out more, download materials, and get started.

10 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

LOVE the video!!! What a great message. I too struggled with coming up with excuses but that alone made me see that I should do it. It's not going to be easy but the cause is so noble. I may Sonic Dial you when I have a bad day and REALLY want to go get a drink. LOL!

GinSpaghetti said...

Abbie, I *loved* your post!!! I can't figure out how to get the banner to be big! How'd you do that?!

Domestic Goddess said...

LOL, me too Gin. It cuts off 1/2 of mine when I try to make it my banner. Grrr! Abbie is SUPER COOL SMART when it comes to stuff like that!!!! She has all kinds of secrets up her sleeve!

Abbie H. said...

You girls crack me up!!!

Go to this link and click web banner just under the picture. Once it opens in the new window-right click and click save image as. Gin-I'm assuming you are on a PC and not a Mac. I'm pretty sure Jess is on a PC.

And yes, Jess-you can call me anytime you are feeling the urge to go to sonic. I'm thinking about putting some kind of counter on my blog that I have to put in like a tally mark each day. I need some accountability!

Abbie H. said...

opppss-forgot the link

http://www.bloodwatermission.com/?em1204=43914&em1205=43915&em1206=183972&em1206b=183976

GinSpaghetti said...

I tried that ... still didn't open bigger. Should I not click the "shrink to fit" box? Maybe that's why it isn't big... Hmm... (yes re: PC!)

Abbie H. said...

yes, if you don't check the box-shrink to fit-it will not resize it. It may be huge though depending on where you put it. If you don't have blogger shrink it-it will be the size of mine up top.

If you need it smaller than mine, but bigger than what you had-let me know where you want it and I'll resize it for you to fit.

Jill Foley said...

Now I'm feeling guilty...and I know that wasn't you intent.

But I really don't think I'm strong enough to do this! The few times I go without my am coffee, I have a headache and feel sick. Maybe all the more reason I should do this. Get over my addiction and feel a little discomfort.

I'm still thinking about it... Oh I'm so weak.

Da MiMi said...

Well Jill, I was going to say that maybe we could just take an excedrin (caffeine) if we got that coffee-withdrawal headache.

Then, I thought about that a bit and realized that was completely ridiculous.

Now, say it with me everyone, "We can do this. Yes, we can!"

Lukewarm said...

Ive got to try and convince my wife to give up her starbucks for 40 days.. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails