Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A Hope that Lives

In one of Compassion's recent blog posts, they asked us, as readers, to write about how hope lives in our lives. It is a contest and although I believe there are far more better writers than I, I am giving it a shot! I've been mulling it over. Trying to figure out just how hope lives in my life. I love that about their blog. They always get my little brain thinking.

----

Over the past week, I have been trying to really figure out what hope is and how it lives in my life. I have hope that my daughter will grow, continue her studies in college, and follow Jesus throughout her entire life. I have hope that some day when she moves out, Chris and I will still be best friends and will remember how to be married without kids under our wings. I have hope that some day when I die and Jesus returns, I will be lifted up to Heaven to live eternally sitting at the feet of God.

These things all seem like lovely things, but I don't believe it answers the question. How does hope LIVE in my life? Right here, right now. LIVING.

My mind shoots to one of my favorite songs, Can Anyone Hear Her by Casting Crowns. It's a song about a girl who is lost in the world but yet her heart longs for something more. Something her heart is missing and in her attempts to seek Jesus, she only finds people looking at her with "lofty glances". It talks about how she is lost under the "shadow of our steeple" while she is "searching for a hero to ride in and save the day."

Here's part of the chorus to the song:

Does anybody hear her?
Does anybody see?
Does anybody even know she's going down today?
Under the shadow of our steeple
with all lost and lonely people
searching for the hope that's tucked away in you and me.

The beginning part of the chorus makes me wonder how many people around me are reaching out for help and I haven't even noticed. Maybe I've been too busy doing my own thing to realize there was someone reaching out there hands or hearts and asking for help.

Then there is the last part...the hope that is tucked away in you and me. Now I want to clarify--what I'm not saying is that I am someone's hope. Jesus is our hope! But how am I sharing the hope thats tucked away in me? The hope that Jesus gives me to share with others. The hope that lives in me because God gave his Son to set me free.

All of us need hope. Without hope we would be lost. Imagine going through life without it. No hope for people. No hope for tomorrow. None.

My mind can't help but to think of the poor. The poor who lacks food and shelter, the poor in spirit, and the poor in heart who walk among us every day. The most devastating thing that poverty does is allows satan to rob the heart of hope.

In the end of the song's video, you see a woman who finally stops and recognizes the girl that needs help. Needs a friend. Needs someone to care. This woman is not her true Hero, but some one to take her to meet her Hero.

2 Corinthians 4:16-18 says, Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Jesus give us hope in our hearts to share with others.

So, share your heart. Share your hands. Share your food. Share your money. Share the unseen.

3 comments:

Jill Foley said...

excellent post Abbie!

Britt said...

That song always makes me cry...I can relate to it all too well...it wasn't too long ago (perhaps 5-8 years ago...) that that girl was me.

I too love how Compassion gets our minds going. However, I've learned though to not have *hope* but instead faith. I actually catch myself saying, "oh I hope" this that or the other. But really what I need to say is, "I have faith that my Father God will" whatever the case may be.

Great post, as always!

Juli Jarvis said...

Amen! You're so right!

Related Posts with Thumbnails