Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Cooking with the Hamblins

We have made some random stuff over the last several days. Here is just a few....


I love carving pumpkins because of the editable treat afterward. No-not the pumpkin itself, but the seeds. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE baked pumpkin seeds and the store bought seeds in a bag just doesn't do the job.

If you have never made them before. It's easy and Aleeyah says they taste like popcorn. They do have a hint of popcorn flavor, but much yummier! Rinse your seeds, put them on a pan, sprinkle them with a little salt, throw them in a 350 degree pre-heated oven, and bake them for about 15-20 minutes until golden. Then eat 'em up!!! BTW--it makes a lot more than what is shown there. They just didn't last very long! :)


We also had some lemons in the refrigerator that needed to be used. So we decided to make some fresh squeezed lemonade. Now I will warn you-8 lemons only makes about 4 glasses of lemonade, but it's worth it in my book.

Juice about 8 lemons to get 2 cups of lemon juice and set aside. In a pan, put 1 cup of water and 1 cup of sugar. Place on the stove over medium heat and stir until sugar is dissolved in the water. Remove from heat and combine it with your lemon juice in a pitcher. Add 3-4 cups of water to your satisfaction and ENJOY!!!


Now for the last one-Apple Bread! I found this one over on my friend, Brittany's blog. You can see how to make it HERE. Now I did do something different to ours. I used splenda where I should have used sugar. I was a tad bit nervous about this seeing as how I don't use splenda that often in baking and I used regular splenda instead of baking splenda (which is half splenda and half sugar). Whew! That was a lot of "splendas" in there. Well, I will let you see below how it turned out!!!!



Yep, it was good! I even sent some home with my dad yesterday along with a batch of homemade salsa! I'll have to share that recipe another day. Dad said it's the best salsa he has had in a VERY long time and definitely something better than what he has ever made. My dad is majorly into cooking so I take that very highly! But for another day!

Let me know if you try any of the recipes and if you tweeked them at all!

4 comments:

Juli Jarvis said...

We used to toast pumpkin seeds all the time with our kids! I wasn't crazy about getting them out of the pumpkin, but you're right -- they're so yummy!

Britt said...

Glad to know the Splenda worked out well!!

Domestic Goddess said...

I have NEVER tried a pumpkin seed, thanks to my Dad I am the adult that is still scared that eating seeds will make them grow in my tummy, I know, so dumb, but I just can't get past it! :) The bread looks fabulous! Isn't it fun being domesticated! I LOVE IT!

Jill Foley said...

Have you ever had fried pumpkin blossoms? Those are yummy too!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails