Thursday, October 23, 2008

Psalm 63:4

I have been meaning to blog about this for last week. I haven't for various reasons, but I've decided to go ahead and share.

The other day, Chris, Aleeyah, and I were in the living room. We had the radio turned on to one of the local Christian music stations. We were listening to Chris Tomlin's, How Great is Our God. Here is a video if you are unfamiliar with it.



Chris and I were sitting on the couch and Aleeyah was standing in front of us. Chris and I were deep in conversation and weren't really paying much attention to what Aleeyah was doing. Nearing the end of the song, I looked over at Aleeyah. There was my three year old standing in front of the radio with her head thrown back looking to the ceiling with her hands lifted. I quickly got Chris' attention without getting Aleeyah's. We couldn't do anything but watch. I truly believe, she wasn't just looking towards the ceiling, but looking beyond that. Far beyond that.

This may not sound like much to those who have been raised in a congregation that raise their hands on a regular basis in song and in prayer. You might be thinking...she is just mimicking what everyone else does in worship services on Sunday. BUT we come from a long line of congregations that believe that raising your hands in prayer/song is being un-orderly-just one step away from doing the macarena in the pew. In fact, the fact that we listen to christian music with the accompaniment of musical instruments in our home would surely have given us a one way ticket to hell. Growing up, we were allowed to listen to country, rap, hip hop, or any other music that spoke of divorce, cheating, drugs, gangs, sex, but mention God-and it was turned off.

Now, before I get a ton of emails/comments with scriptures such as Psalm 63:4, 1 Timothy 2:8, 1 Corinthians 10:31....the list could go, I don't personally believe that these past thoughts are the way that I should worship. Do I raise my hands in church now? No. But it's not because I believe it's wrong, but because I'm not comfortable with it for me-at least yet. Even though the congregation that we have been attending does this from time to time.

Getting back to topic-Aleeyah isn't in worship with us so she wouldn't see the people who occasionally lifts their hands during worship. She goes to children's church. As I say that, I can hear yet another gasp from fellow church of Christ members.

As you can imagine, with our past worship beliefs, I was a little taken back in the first few seconds.

What's going on?

It only took those couple of seconds for me to realize that my daughter was worshiping God and nothing could make me happier.

As the song ended, Aleeyah dropped her arms and turned around and looked at her parents staring at her with amazement.

My eyes were filled with tears. My entire body felt warm all over. My heart was filled with pure joy.

How GREAT is OUR God!!!!

8 comments:

Jill Foley said...

Wow...that's awesome! I have goosebumps!

Da MiMi said...

I couldn't be more thankful for two such excellent parents for my grandbaby.

I too love Chris Tomlin's music and that song is particularly moving.

Hmmm.....Let me see.....Years of organ or piano accompanying Latin, followed by more organ, piano and English. Then the guitar came into the Mass. Big move there.

Then years of silence...
followed by an eventual re-awakening. With that came acapella music with the admonition of NO raising hands (too emotional. Neither was there to be any handclapping.

And don't even think of adding instrumental music. That's a sure fire ticket to hades.

And yet I struggle with this. Just dont' know. Just don't know...

Love from me to you

Juli Jarvis said...

Wow--what a great post. I can just see it now, and how the angels must've rejoiced! Yes, I would say Aleeyah was in worship and was seeing far beyond your home! Thanks for sharing! Oh -- and by the way, I don't lift my hands in worship in my own church, but find myself doing it often when I'm alone or at a Compassion conference, in times of worship. Sometimes the Spirit just moves me in that way and I have no inhibitions at all, like a child.

The Leeth family said...

From a fellow church of Christ member, one with the same conservative raising, it is hard to let your guard down and lift your hands, even when you really want to! But this is the way I see it, "Whoever does not welcome the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Mk 10:15
It puts a smile on my face when Gavin wants to turn the radio off and sing songs in the car! His favorite, Our God is an Awesome God. And I have to sing it louder just knowing how He has blessed me with such amazing children!! We need to stop telling our children how to worship God and learn to let God use them to teach us! Truth and Spirit!!
You guys have an great little girl there!! I wish I would have gotten to know her and we could have hung out more when you were here!

Britt said...

That is wonderful! Where was your video camera? You need to keep it on you at all times!!! :)

Laura said...

That is AWESOME! I have tears! I love when God teaches us and encourages us through our children!

Ben, Kelly and Sophie said...

This is really beautiful. All churches most definitely have their downfalls, and that is why we must turn not to what man teaches but to what Christ taught - the Holy Word and the HEART! I love your story.

Domestic Goddess said...

That is awesome!!! Chris Tomlin is awesome and that is a great song. I love to hear a song I like on the radio and hear my daughter sing it. I can only imagine how proud you were sitting there, that is such a priceless moment.

Related Posts with Thumbnails