Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Mothers with empty arms across the world

If you have sent me an email that you fully expected me to reply to and I have not done so, it's not because I don't love you! Apparently, I need to rely a little less on Outlook to retrieve my mail and actually go to my webmail from time to time to see what is sitting in there. I had several emails that were not downloaded into my Outlook.

One of which included my Compassion bloggers assignment for today! Grrrrr. I thought it was kind of cool and crazy that some of my friends were blogging about Compassion today. Cool that they are spreading the word about the fact that poverty is real, but crazy that they all decided to do it today! Once I came across my abandoned email, it made a little more sense.

I read over at another blogger friend's site that today is Pregnancy & Infant Loss Remembrance Day. I couldn't imagine the feelings that mothers are faced with everyday from miscarriages, still births, and from loosing a child. The pain at times, I am sure feels unbearable.

Today is also Blog Action Day. Blog Action Day is s an annual on-line effort to get as many people as possible talking about one crucial issue in hopes of inspiring action and bringing about change. I think that it is by no mistake that these 2 days are shared together. Why? Because this year's focus for Blog Action Day is to bring attention to a rising crisis.....POVERTY.

How do these 2 go hand in hand? Poverty steals infants and children from their mothers through hunger, AIDS, and diseases. Poverty replaces the joy of motherhood when a mother has to decide what is best for her children or how often they will eat-leaving children dying from hunger related causes. No mother wants this for her child. No mother wants to see her children cry. No mother wants to weep because she has lost another precious baby.

But she does.

She cries......just as you and I would.

BUT where people are, there is Jesus. Where Jesus is, there is hope.

As you know, I am a strong supporter of Compassion International's efforts in the fight against poverty. One of the ways that I have not talked about to help through Compassion is through their Child Survival Program.

Here is a video talking about the program and what they do. It's just a little over 3 minutes. Will you take the time?


So as we remember today the mothers who have lost their children, will you remember the mothers having to watch their children die for unnecessary reasons. Reasons that could be changed, if you and I just locked arms together to make a difference.

If you and I do.....I wonder who would follow.

I know the task seems overwhelming, but God is on our side. He gave us the desire to love.

So will you love these mothers and children today? Will you make a commitment to be their voice? Will you fight for them? Will you be disgusted by the dying and choose to say, "I WILL NOT stand by and let this happen!"?

There are so many ways to help. Find one today that touches your heart.

5 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

The idea of both situations breaks my heart. I can't imagine not being able to feed my child, and honestly I think I take that for granted. Or even knowing that I had to give my child up because it was a better choice. Those women have to have faith in those situations to be able to see any sort of hope. There are so many ways we can help, it's just a matter of taking the time. And I do think that so many just don't have any idea HOW they can help so they just sit back and watch. Thank you for posting the links & video...awareness is the first step!

Shaun Groves said...

Thank you for talking about Compassion (so well) on Blog Action Day. Let me know if you ever need a thing from Compassion. I'm here to serve you.

Thanks,
Shaun Groves
CompassionBloggers.com

Jill Foley said...

Get with the program! Just kidding! They sent the email for the assignment on the 14th so we were all a little rushed!!!

Great post. Have I mentioned before that you would make a GREAT advocate for Compassion? Really, you are already doing the "work"...speaking up for the little ones.

Juli Jarvis said...

Thanks for sharing this video; I had never seen this one before. Both of these speakers spoke at the DR Conference last week, so it was special seeing them again. Also, I went to a candlelight vigil last night for people that have lost babies in the womb or shortly after birth. It was very moving, because a friend of ours was speaking, and also because I was thinking of all the children dying around the world every day. Thanks again for your excellent post!

Jill Foley said...

I've tagged you again with another blog game....

Related Posts with Thumbnails