Monday, September 15, 2008

Our friend, Juli

You know those times in your life where you sit down with a friend and you have the most amazing conversation that just leaves you with smiles and hope throughout the rest of the day? Well, I had one of those with a friend of mine today. She drove from Wyoming to spend some time with her family and she took some time out to meet Aleeyah and I for lunch.

Now when I say "meet" Aleeyah and I, I mean that this was the first time we ever met. I found Juli, from Sheep Droppings, online through bloggers who blog for Compassion International. We have chatted back and forth a few times, but not necessarily on a deep level. In one of our first emails, she had asked me where abouts I lived in Kansas because her dad lives here and said that she would be visiting the area soon. I told her to call me when she came and maybe we could do lunch.

So back to today. Aleeyah and I walked into Panera Bread and I immediately started scanning the crowded restaurant for a face that I only knew from a 1" by 1" picture from her blog. I knew she would be alone and that she was spending some much needed time getting caught up on emails on her laptop. If you know me well, you will know that I get nervous meeting new people. But this wasn't the case with Juli. I felt even more secure when I finally saw her and she embraced me in a hug.

We spent 3 1/2 hours in Panera Bread "catching up" on things that have happened in our lives that brought us to where we are today. We shared with each other about our love for God and how magnificent He really is. I wont share with you the details we talked about. I believe, for now, those things are ours, but I do know that I needed it today. I needed the encouragement and hope that she brought me. I needed to hear her stories of her time with Compassion. I needed to feel that Jesus kind of love. A love that says, I barely know you and I don't know exactly where your life has been, but I love you because you are a child of God.

If you caught on in the beginning, I called Juli my friend. In most scenarios in our lives, friendships are developed over time, but there are some people we find that instantly become a friend. I believe that this is the case with Juli and I feel so blessed that God gave us that time together.

And just in case I might forget that it was God who was there with us today, I am reminded that my 3 year old daughter did a fabulous job of staying calm and not climbing the walls the entire time we visited! 3 1/2 hours in Panera Bread with a calm 3 year old can only mean that God had His hand in it.

Will you love a child today with a Jesus kind of love? Click here to sponsor a child.

8 comments:

Jill Foley said...

That is so cool that you got to meet Juli...I love reading her blog, too! So cool...

Juli Jarvis said...

Abbie--I agree--it was a wonderful afternoon together! And I have to say -- Aleeyah was amazingly patient and well-behaved! What a sweetheart! We truly did meet on a special spiritual level today, thanks to God. I was so impressed with your spiritual maturity and insights -- you were a blessing to me!

Abbie H. said...

Jill-I know, WAY cool! ha ha!

Juli-Thanks so much again! I feel that we could have sat and talked for another few hours. I would have really liked to hear more about your trips with Compassion. Have a good stay here and a safe trip home!

Ben, Kelly and Sophie said...

How neat. God is so special to bring moments like this to us.

ian said...

I'm a big Juli fan, too! I'm so glad you had the opportunity to meet up!

Abbie H. said...

Kelly-you are right on that. Just another little blessing that God gives us.

Ian-Thanks so much for stopping by. It sounds like Juli has quite the little fan club!

da mimi said...

It never ceases to put a smile on my face when I think of all my sisters and brothers that I have yet to meet! We are truly never alone when we have Jesus as our brother. He showed us the "Way". He showed us that we have brothers and sisters throughout the world that care about each other and care about the needs of our little ones. Can't wait to scope out Juli's blog. Love to all, da mimi

Juli Jarvis said...

What it did for me -- was remind me that the people we blog with -- comment with -- and pray for are REAL! In walked Aleeyah and Abbie! They looked just like they do on the blog! And that reminds me that our Compassion children are for real too -- and have real needs like we do. I loved that moment, when Abbie and Aleeyah first walked in and I saw them in person! Blessed my heart so much...

Related Posts with Thumbnails