Friday, September 26, 2008

I'm busy!

I had to share a conversation that Aleeyah and I had yesterday morning after Aleeyah woke up.

Me: Aleeyah, please go take off your pull-up and throw it in the trash.

Aleeyah: No thank you, momma.

Me: Aleeyah, you need to go take off your pull-up and throw it away.

Aleeyah: gggrrr...Mom (in her teenage voice), I'm BUSY!

So yeah, that's my 3 year old. You would think the child would hate to be sitting in a soaking wet pull-up and would love nothing more than to throw it away and put some clean panties on. BUT apparently, she was quite content with her situation and was pretty happy just playing her toys-avoiding what was best for her.

After she got a severe talking to, I began to think about when I was a kid...

Now I know in our house growing up, talking back was.....well....asking for severe punishment and often it included a leather belt. Well, I say often, but in reality-we knew better. We didn't want to displease our parents, but more importantly-we didn't want to get beat!

Our parents always told us that they were only trying to help us make the right choices and help us in doing what was best for us.

I had a conversation with my dad about this today. We talked about when I was younger and how much I hated school. My parents always told me that I would look back and wish I would have paid more attention in school. That I would grow a deeper level of appreciation when I no longer had it available to me.

I always thought that idea was dumb (like school) and that my parents must have really thought I just as dumb to believe such nonscense.

Then one day you are 27 years old and you realize that many of those things that seemed so dumb at the time-actually, are true.

Sometimes, I wish I would have believed my parents more when it came to schooling. Sometimes, I wish that I would have just learned to be more open to their ideas. Sometimes, I wish I wouldn't have faught them so hard on some issues and understood that they knew what was best for me.

At the time though, I was too busy with my friends and boyfriends. I was busy trying to fit in. I was busy worrying about what new decoration or picture I was going to hang in my locker. I was busy trying to figure out how to bend the rules so that I could have a little bit more fun.

I got to thinking--Isn't that like when God puts a longing in our heart to do something or go a certain direction in our lives and we don't do it because we are busy? We are basically, talking back to God telling Him, "I'm busy right now".

I wonder how many times God was trying to reveal a door or a direction that He wanted me to go, but I was too busy filling my life up with other things. Maybe I was too busy thinking about my daily activities to look beyond tomorrow.

The great thing about parenting is that we can guide our children because we have been there. We know what possibilities and difficulties they might go through. We feel confident that we know what is best for them. We expect them to follow our leads to grow into good people.

But God knows far more than even what we, as parents, think we know. He knows the great picture because He is the painter, after all.

I feel that sometimes we get so busy being parents that we often forget that we are children too. Children to a Father that understands and knows more than we will ever be able to comprehend. He knows what is best for us and our walk with Him and yet, sometimes we sit back and say, "I'm too busy to do what You know is best for me."

I bet He looks at us with the same look in our parents eyes that says,

"If you only knew what was to come. If you only knew the great things that will come from these hard times. Child, if you only knew. Trust me."

4 comments:

Jill Foley said...

so true...so true!

I have learned so much about God (as our Father, parent) since becoming a parent!

On the other hand, whenever I find myself realizing the truth and value in what they were teaching me, I realize how OLD I am getting!!

I find myself saying things all day long that they used to say to me...."Don't hang on the stair bannister" is the most recent.

We all revert back to being toddlers (or teenagers) in our spiritual walk as well!

Britt said...

"The great thing about parenting is that we can guide our children because we have been there."

I'm already praying about how to guide my girls when they become teenagers! If I only knew then what I knew now..lol. But, our experiences make us who we are today. Looking back, some situations could have gotten quite sticky (and some did!), but it's amazing to see how God's hand was guiding me through it all.

“For God has said, “I will never fail you. I will never abandon you.” ~Hebrews 13:5

Ben, Kelly and Sophie said...

"For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Eph 2:10

I'm with you - I feel that God has probably chosen many good works for me over the years that I have missed because I wasn't watching for them. We must keep praying that God will help us keep our hearts and eyes open!!

Abbie H. said...

Great thoughts girls! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails