Saturday, September 27, 2008

Living a Faith that Bleeds

I just finished reading a book today that never made it over to my "Books I am Reading" list on this page, but has been added to the recommended books. My mother-in-law brought a book with her to Kansas that I told her I wanted to read. I found out about it through various blogs and I was so excited to get to sit down and open my heart to what the author had to say.

I read for about an hour yesterday and about the same today and finished all 186 pages (it was an easy read). In some ways, it was just as I thought it would be. It was filled with stories of people and statistics. Statistics that are not just statistics, but real people. Statistics that made my heart ache. Sometimes I felt overwhelmed and sometimes I felt encouraged to do more. There were times that I was sad and most other times-angry. Angry because it can be changed. Angry because it doesn't have to be this way.

The book is called, Red Letters: Living a Faith that Bleeds.


Take a moment to watch this video. I'm not even going to attempt to try to explain it in better words than they do.



There are many things I quietly said "Amen" to while reading and other things that I felt a bit of disgust over my own attitudes about certain issues.

I was happy to see that they gave a shout out for Compassion International and their efforts in helping the HIV/AIDS pandemic. The book even said, "Compassion is quickly becoming one of the leaders in responding to the AIDS crisis, spending tens of millions of dollars to alleviate suffering caused by AIDS."

We had decided after sponsoring Irene from Kenya who lives in a highly effected AIDS area, to give a little extra to Compassion's HIV/AIDS Initiative. Our contribution of only $8 a month seems like so little, but it was nice to hear that Compassion is using the resources to really make an impact in the harder effected areas. It doesn't take much money to educate and for the medicine that is needed for people affected with AIDS, but sadly, more needs to be done!

Here is one way that Red Letters is asking people to get involved. It is called the Five for 50. The book says, "It's a comprehensive plan to bring Christians from all across the globe together in solidarity with the soon-to-e fifty million people living with HIV.

These are 5 steps:

Give five minutes a day to pray for those suffering form HIV/AIDS.
Give five hours a week to fast for those suffering from HIV/AIDS.
Give five dollars a month to the Five for 50 fund to support worthy causes.
Give five days per year to travel overseas to help alleviate poverty and suffering.
Give five people and opportunity to join you on your journey.

Over the next couple of weeks, I will be sharing with you some of the things written in Red Letters. BUT I do want to strongly encourage anyone to go to Amazon (or wherever you buy your books) right now and purchase Red Letters and read it for yourself. If you do, I would love to hear your thoughts on it!

Also, here real soon, I will be asking you to join me in doing something towards the end of the year. Something that has been on my heart for over 2 months. Between now and then, I am praying that each one of our blog readers considers joining me in spending just one day focused on others over ourselves. More to come on that though! :)

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! I will be posting about our weekend adventures with Chris' parents and, of course, there might even be a few pictures to share!

1 comment:

nirwin said...

Hi, this is Nicole, I am Tom's assistant at Children's HopeChest. I enjoyed your review of "Red Letters". Thanks for blogging about it and keeping people focused on those who need our compassion and support. Blessings!
nirwin@hopechest.org

Related Posts with Thumbnails