Wednesday, September 3, 2008

How do you measure success?

Chris and I were discussing personalities the other day. When Aleeyah is working on her letters and when she knows she cannot draw one, she doesn't try. I struggle with the same thing in many areas of my life. I know how to do lots of different things, but find myself wandering away from them because I feel like my talents just aren't that great. Among some of the crafty things I can do, I can (as in at least a little) do woodworking and photography. I can scrapbook, sew, paint, and crochet. Jobs wise-I've been a sales auditor and customer service supervisor, a real estate appraiser, a photographer, and a children's minister. If you know me well at all, you will know that I don't say all these things to brag on myself, but to point out that I struggle with sticking to one thing because I find myself doubting that I can do it and do it well. I do these things with my best effort but still find myself feeling like I have fallen short of my own standards. Thus, unsuccessful.

We ended up getting into a small debate (as we tend to do a lot) the other day on what success is and how you achieve it. What factors do you look to measure your success? How do you know when you have achieved it?

I know you can be successful in various things such as your job, raising your kids, a project your working on. But if you are able to look back at your life and conclude if it was successful-what would that look like?

So I invite you to leave a message and tell me what your opinions on success are and I will be back some time tomorrow to post my thoughts on the word "Success". Maybe I can steal a few of your ideas since mine WILL fall short! :) KIDDING!

Leave me a message here or e-mail me. You can leave a message without signing up for blogger by posting anonymously and you can always leave your name at the end of the post if you would like.

I know for a fact that we have a few readers out there--more than 5, but maybe less than 10! :)

So get your noggin' going and please, don't be shy! I would love to hear your opinions!


**Today, prayer power goes to the hurricane victims.

4 comments:

The Leeth family said...

The accomplishment of an aim or purpose is one of Webster's definitions for success.
I like to think that I am successful when I have achieved what I am working toward. But I know I am a success when I can see God's purpose in what I am doing or have done, and I am able to feel His presence and assistance throughout my day. Knowing I couldn't do it without Him, while am still accomplishing the task.

The Leeth family said...

Hey Abbie,
a little off the subject, but I would like a brunette doll for my niece for her birthday. It isn't until the end of November, but they are too cute. No rush, just let me know.
Carol

da mimi said...

I. We all want to be successful in life.
A. Success not found in riches.
B. Success not found in fame.
C. Success not found in power.
D. Success only found in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 3:20 "To Him who is able to do immeasurable more than all we can ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations foreve and ever Amen."
Success is found in Attitude.
Things happen to us in life, our attitude
determines how we will respond.
Success is found in Belief.
We must believe that Jesus is Lord.
We must believe that God will do what he says
he will do.
Success comes from commitment.
We must be committed to Christ.
praise God that Jesus
remains totally committed to you and I.
He challenges us to do the same for Him.

Those are the ABC’s of successful living.
Attitude
Belief
Commitment

Jill Foley said...

I posted a comment last night, but it must have not gone through.

My answer is achieving my goals with integrity.

My husband measures success by how much freedom he has....(time, finances, etc.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails