Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cinderella, Cinderella

***EDIT: Pictures are uploaded! http://allinhisdesign.blogspot.com/2008/10/cinderella-shooting.html ***

Chris and I started discussing Halloween costumes last week. Typically, we figure out what Aleeyah is going to be and then I procrastinate until the week of Halloween to actually make the costume. I remember last year I ran around the day of to find a black shirt to complete her witchy look! I am happy to report, with just less than 2 months away, I have already finished Aleeyah's Halloween costume! Okay, so I still have to buy the gloves, but the dress is made, the shoes are purchased, and the petticoat slip has been paid for and is on it's way via snail mail! Now if I can only keep from showing it off until then!

Rewinding.....

On Monday, my dad, Chris, Aleeyah, and I headed to the mall to go to the Rainforest Cafe and a walk around the mall. We walked into the Disney store in hopes of getting an idea of what Aleeyah will be dressing up for this year. After looking at a pair of Cinderella glass slippers, we decided that Aleeyah would be Cinderella this year! We figure this will be the last year that we will be able to make that decision for her. Soon enough, she will be telling us she what she wants to dress up as. So we bought the shoes and Chris laughed at me as he knew I would be searching all of the world for right material to go with these shoes. It's probably more of a desire to not see her in something that every other little girl is in, but I couldn't bring myself to spending $34 on a Cinderella dress that the material looks like it's been cut from horribly cheap, scratchy material. Plus I LOVE making her costumes! Here are a few pictures from the past 3 years costumes.





Aleeyah's first costume, the lamb, was made with a pattern, but I only helped my sister make it. As in I cut out pieces, pinned material together, and did a little sewing on the machine. I never deciphered the pattern code! Then I made her last 2 costumes without a pattern. Here are just a couple more dresses out of the many things that I made without a pattern.




So all that to say, I can make something from dissecting and putting it together in my head, but give me instructions and I don't have a clue as to what I am doing! So I purchased a pattern and materials for a dress that I have wanted to make since Aleeyah was born.

I started working on it on Monday night. I spent hours just trying to decipher all the sewing terms and cutting instructions. I cut all the pieces and then came time for putting it all together. Baste...gather...dart...slip-stitch...lap. Finally, I abandoned the instructions and decided to wing it! I was doing pretty good until I realized that I didn't even read the back of the pattern correctly to purchase all the necessary materials to complete the job. So yesterday, I headed back up to the fabric store for a few more things. I had to ask someone at the fabric store what "facing" is while showing them the pattern that I purchased. They immediately asked me if I knew how to sew. I kind of chuckled inside as I thought about my last 2 days with these "helpful" instructions. They followed that question with a, "Well, this pattern is for advanced sewing."

Still feeling confident with what I had already completed without the pattern's mess of instructions, but with the uneasiness of what was still left, I picked up the facing and a zipper and went home to finish it.

The rest of the project went well and I finished it last night. I couldn't be anymore happy with it! We did a fitting on Aleeyah last night and she was excited to get to put it on. It made every frustration of the process worth it seeing the smile on her face. Chris and I were cracking up watching her twirl about.

Now we just have to wait 2 months before we unveil the princess in her royal attire!

Let's see if I can make it that long!

2 comments:

Lisa Miles said...

The costumes and outfits you've made are ADORABLE!!! My hobby has always been scrapbooking -- but I've really felt a pull lately toward sewing. Seeing those sweet outfits is a real motivator for me to give sewing a try. :)

Abbie H. said...

Thanks so much Lisa! You should try it. Honestly, I just try and use my seam ripper often!

Related Posts with Thumbnails