Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What does God look like?

Aleeyah and I went down to the pool today. It's a beautiful 83 degrees outside, but the water was warm from the previous days being over 90. We were the only ones at the pool today which was quite refreshing. Aleeyah is doing much better on her swimming and only got a mouth full of water once!!! We were tossing a ball back and forth to each other in the pool when she began talking about the trees and the ground. And the conversation goes like this...

Me: Do you know who gave us the trees and the ground?
Aleeyah: (promptly yelling) GOD DID!!!
Me: Where is God? Do you see him?
Aleeyah: (pointing to the sky as far as she can reach) In the big, blue sky.
Me: Good job! What does God look like?

Before she answered, I was trying to think of how I could explain to her that God looks so radiant and glowing-like the sun. In Ezekiel 1:26-28 it says, ?Above the expanse over their heads was what looked like a throne of sapphire, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.?
I was expecting her to look a little confused and for her to babble out something in a soft voice attempting to change the subject. But she is always there to surprise me......
Aleeyah: Like birds, and trees, and bugs, and butterflies, and flowers.
Me: God looks like a bird, a tree, and a butterfly?
Aleeyah: YEP!

She said it so confidently-like I had just asked her if she liked chocolate. Her answer turned out to be nothing like the answer I was thinking of, but after a moment I think I understood where she was coming from.

When I look at the trees, flowers, butterflies-all of God's gifts, I think about the detail that He put into each of those masterpieces. He didn't simply make a bug and slap some functional wings onto it's body to make a butterfly. He put great detail in His design of each tree, each butterfly, each flower, even you and me. A quote from LiveScience.com says, "The beautifully colored wings of African swallowtail butterflies manipulate light using engineering tricks similar to those found in digital displays. The butterflies have black wings with bright patches of green and blue, which they use to communicate across long distances. Microscopic scales covering the wings absorb ultraviolet light and then re-emit it. The re-emitted light interacts with fluorescent pigments found on the butterflies? wings to produce the vibrant green-blue color." I could go on for days about the intricate details that God put into each pieces of His work, but I don't think we will ever truly understand it in it's entirety.

So even though the Bible describes Him so radiant that we would be blinded if we were to look at Him, I wonder if in His great design, He put a little bit of Himself in each piece?

Just moments after our conversation, a butterfly flew by and I saw it as my 2 year old daughter did. It made me smile to see this little piece of God fluttering in the wind. In all it's complexity and absolute beauty.

So I have to ask, What does God look like to you?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails