Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

We have started our recycle program here at the Hamblin house about a week ago. When I told Chris what I wanted to do I started off saying, "Please dont think I am crazy, but...". He understood my need to do this and that even though we are just one family trying to make a difference-we still CAN make a difference. We went to the store and purchased some bins to help us organize our recyclable trash.


I still have to label the bins, but you get the idea. On a funny note, I have been looking at everything we throw away as a possibility to recycle. In the process of taking the laundry out of the dryer and cleaning out the vent in the dryer, I looked at the lint....Recyclable? Then I had to laugh at myself and just threw the lint away. It's no longer a natural feeling to just throw away-even when it comes to dryer lint! Chris has been doing really well with it. The first couple of days I had to keep taking things out of the garbage or tell him as he was about to throw it away. But now we have a special place for him to put stuff that he is unsure of and that makes it easier for him. I am excited about getting to teach Aleeyah about recycling. I found this book online and I am going to try to find it next time we go to the bookstore. Actually, I think I try to find it used online so it can be reused!!!!

We have found a recycling center close by that takes quite a bit of what we use. We are getting our bins filled up and I am getting excited about dropping it off.

Recycling is not just about sorting and dropping off your garbage for someone else to deal with it. It's about making a decision to not use as much or to buy recycled materials. It is quite costly to recycle materials. One of the things that we did to use less is by purchasing a filtered water pitcher. This allows us to not have to dispose of all the plastic water bottles when we are finished with them.

I encourage everyone to find your local recycling facility to find out what you can recycle and get to it!!! You can even start out small with just recycling plastic. Just think about how many plastic bottles you throw away everyday-water bottles, coke bottles, shampoo/conditioner bottles.... You get the idea!

And if you think you, alone, cannot make a difference...

As the old man walked along the beach at dawn, he noticed a young woman ahead of him picking up starfish and flinging them into the sea. Finally catching up with the woman, he asked her why she was doing this. The answer was that the stranded starfish would die if left until morning.

?But the beach goes on for miles and there are millions of starfish,? he said. ?How can your efforts make any difference??

The young woman looked at the starfish in her hand and then threw it to safety into the waves. ?It makes a difference to this one!? she said.

1 comment:

Da MiMi said...

This is one mimi that is working to "gulp!" "hug a tree". I know, I know...it's not always a really popular stance to take but if we don't start doing something no one else will.
da mimi

Related Posts with Thumbnails