Sunday, July 13, 2008

More than just a bead

I came across a website a couple of weeks ago when I was looking up information about AIDS in Africa. We just recently began sponsoring our 3rd child through Compassion (more on that in the next couple of days after I get the scanner hooked up). Because Gacheri lives in a highly affected HIV/AIDS area, I was looking up information about AIDS. Through some links I came across a website that sells beads. These beads are not just beads made in a factory somewhere in China, but in fact, are made by Ugandan women. They hand roll the beads made with recycled paper, string them, and are later sold through an organization named, BeadforLife. Over 75% of the proceeds go back to the community in the forms of Health, Education and Training, Life Skills and Finances, and Affordable Housing. This means women and their families in Uganda, many who are suffering from AIDS, are able to make an income and support themselves by making and selling these wonderful paper-bead necklaces, bracelets and other jewelry.

If you would like to see their beautiful bead work-visit their website BeadforLife. I received my beads last week and they are just as beautiful as the women who made them!

I couldn't help but be moved by the talent, drive, and passion that is expressed and shown in their beads and for the organizations love for these women. I encourage you to watch the video below. These women and their families face extreme poverty, but yet they find hope in something as small as a bead. I believe they can truly be inspiration to us.

1 comment:

Ben, Kelly and Sophie said...

This is very cool. One of our Compassion kids, Elisha, is from Tanzania, which is also highly affected by AIDS. Thanks for the post and the idea.

Also, Aleeyah was so cute in her jogging heels! Her hair is so beautiful... she looks so old!

Related Posts with Thumbnails