Thursday, July 3, 2008

Bikers, Birthdays, and Chipmunks!!!

This morning my dad, Aleeyah, and I hit the trails for a bike ride. (He has been off work all week which has been great.) I'm unsure on what the temperature was when we began our ride, but by 1:00pm it had reached 77. Now for us okies in July-that's COLD! It felt absolutely wonderful. We had a good rain last night which made the trees glisten and smell of rain. I am amazed every time I hit the trails here in Kansas. I haven't been able to take a picture of them yet due to not wanting to take my nice camera with me. It is a Digital SLR and would hate for something to happen to it as I try to hold onto it. I found this picture online, but it doesn't even begin to capture the very thing that the trails has to offer.


The trails offer more more than a good physical workout, more than the waterfalls that billow down the river and more than just a tree covered path that winds down and around the hills of Kansas. It's about the community of people you see, the animals that greet you around the turns, and the peace that fills your body while sitting back and taking it all in as you listen to the birds sing their songs.

We ended up riding 8.5 miles today. We saw a ton of squirrels and we even saw a chipmunk. We also fit some park play time in for Aleeyah before the last 1.5 miles. I enjoyed watching her and my dad play for a while and even got some good laughs in when he came barreling down the slide! Too bad I couldn't get a picture of that one!!!

After riding we went to eat lunch and I had by far the best bar-b-q sandwich my lips have ever tasted. Ironically, it was at a joint called Oklahoma Joe's. After lunch, we split to get some things done and so Aleeyah could get her nap. As I was walking up the stairs to my apartment, I saw something rather strange at my doorstep. Upon reaching closer to it, I saw a 1/2 dozen birthday balloons!


I was so excited and couldn't get in the door fast enough to read the card. Josh and Lauren sent them to us all the way from Florida!!! Well, technically they are from a local florist here :). I LOVED them! Thank you guys again! Dad, Sherry, and Cody came over to have dinner with us and we ended the evening playing mexican train dominoes!

What a fun day! And we even have lots more in store for tomorrow! More bike rides, paddle boats, horseback riding, and of course, FIREWORKS! But more on that tomorrow! I hope everyone has a fun and safe Abbie birthday celebration day....errr....Independence Day!!!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails